Monday, August 29, 2016

Verse of the Day 8/29

 

 
John 8:12   Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Today's  verse was spoken by Jesus during the Feast of the Tabernacles during which there were ceremonies beginning on the first night  of the feast where four golden lamps  were lit in the  courts  of the temple.  There was worship which included singing, music  and  dancing,  definitely a joyful  celebration.  It  was done in celebration  of  what  God had  done in the  past, where He had brought them  from and delivered  them  to.  It was against this backdrop that He said I am the light the world".
 
During their time in the desert the Israelites were led by a pillar of cloud in the day and by fire in the night.  God's light was visible to them as He guided them.  Our  world can be a desert at times, full of  unrest, confusion and  uncertainty.  For those  who don't have the  proper guidance it can be a sad an imposing place.  But we have Jesus,  the light of  the world to lead and  guide us.  Being mindful of this we should be able  to praise  Him every  day, to  sing, to dance  and celebrate who He  is  and what  He  has  done for us, not just as part  of a ceremony but with  our lives as He lights our way.
 
Light of the world you step down into darkness
Opened my eyes let me see
Beauty that makes this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

So here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful to me
 
Psalm 27:1-2 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
John 8:12-18 The Message (MSG)
You're Missing God in All This
12 Jesus once again addressed them: "I am the world's Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in."
13 The Pharisees objected, "All we have is your word on this. We need more than this to go on."
14-18 Jesus replied, "You're right that you only have my word. But you can depend on it being true. I know where I've come from and where I go next. You don't know where I'm from or where I'm headed. You decide according to what you can see and touch. I don't make judgments like that. But even if I did, my judgment would be true because I wouldn't make it out of the narrowness of my experience but in the largeness of the One who sent me, the Father. That fulfills the conditions set down in God's Law: that you can count on the testimony of two witnesses. And that is what you have: You have my word and you have the word of the Father who sent me."
 

Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: