Saturday, August 27, 2016

Verse of the Day 8/27

John 7:37-38On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'"  English Standard Version (ESV)

In today's post we'll continue at least one more day with the thoughts of those times of change and transition.  In today's passage Jesus had gone up to the feast of tabernacles in Jerusalem.  It was a time of celebration for the harvest and also for reflecting back on the nation's time of deliverance.  During the feast water would be poured out on the alter in remembrance miraculous way that God had provided the water from the rock in the desert.

Those times of change and transition can often be like desert times, with uncertainty and possibly hardship.  We long for refreshment and don't know where we will find it.  The nation went through the desert and Jesus Himself spent 40 days and nights in the desert after which He faced several temptations.  In each instance when He was tempted we referred back to God's Word as spiritual food, as His support.

So it can be with us.  We are to turn to Him from our desert place and as Jesus said "out of His heart will flow rivers of living water".

As I read the passage and was preparing for this post, the old hymn "A Shelter in the Time  of Storm" came to mind:

1 The Lord's our Rock; in Him we hide,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Refrain:
O Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
O Jesus is a Rock in a weary land -
A Shelter in the time of storm.

2 A Shade by day, Defense by night,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
No fears alarm, no foes affright,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

He is not only our rock, our shelter, but  as our Shepherd, He provides the living water to refresh  and restore us.

Psalm 23The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.    English Standard Version (ESV)


  --   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 7:37-39The Message (MSG)

37-39 On the final and climactic day of the Feast, Jesus took his stand. He cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says." (He said this in regard to the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were about to receive. The Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus had not yet been glorified.)

  

No comments: