Sunday, July 16, 2017

Verse of the Day 7/16

Verse of the Day 7/16

Genesis 28:15-16 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." 16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it."   English Standard Version (ESV)

The other day I quoted a few  lines from Morris Chapman's song from Joshua 1:8-9 "Be bold, be strong, for the Lord thy God is with thee".  It is a reminder that God is with us and will provide us with what we need to accomplish His purposes.  This morning's verses are part of Jacob's dream through whichGod spoke to him and made the promise - "I am with you and will keep you wherever you go".

We can put these two things together "He is with us, He will keep us" and we can add to this "He is for us" as we read in Romans 8:31.

Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?    English Standard Version (ESV)

Jacob responded by erecting a pillar to remember the place.  Do you remember places where God made His presence known to you and you felt His presence, that He was with you, for you and would keep you?  You may not erect a a pillar, but the memories themselves can be held onto  and treasured as our "Ebenezer" our stone of remembrance.  That is what is meant in the second stanza of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing".

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Here there by Thy great help I've come
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood

Genesis 28:20-22 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, 21 so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, 22 and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house.    English Standard Version (ESV)

In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Genesis 28:15-17The Message (MSG)

13-15 Then God was right before him, saying, "I am God, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. I'm giving the ground on which you are sleeping to you and to your descendants. Your descendants will be as the dust of the Earth; they'll stretch from west to east and from north to south. All the families of the Earth will bless themselves in you and your descendants. Yes. I'll stay with you, I'll protect you wherever you go, and I'll bring you back to this very ground. I'll stick with you until I've done everything I promised you."

16-17 Jacob woke up from his sleep. He said, "God is in this place—truly. And I didn't even know it!" He was terrified. He whispered in awe, "Incredible. Wonderful. Holy. This is God's House. This is the Gate of Heaven."

No comments: