Monday, July 31, 2017

Verse of the Day 7/31

 
Verse of the Day 7/31
 

John 17:21 

21 May they all be one,
as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You.
May they also be one
[a] in Us,

so the world may believe You sent Me. 
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Today's verse in John  21 comes from  Jesus' "High, Priestly Prayer" in which He prays to the Father first for His work to be completed and then for God's chosen to be united,  to be as one  in relationship to the Father while enduring  the trials  and  temptations that will come upon us in this life.  It is a prayer that we would keep in step, be "in tune" with  God.  This is  not  something  that  can be accomplished on our own, by our will, initiative, or method.
 
A.W. Tozer writes, "Has it ever occurred to you that one hundred pianos all tuned to the same fork are automatically tuned to each other? They are of one accord by being tuned, not to each other, but to another standard to which each one must individually bow. So one hundred worshippers meeting together, each one looking away to Christ, are in heart nearer to each other than they could possibly be were they to become "unity" conscious and turn their eyes away from God to strive for closer fellowship. Social religion is perfected when private religion is purified. The body becomes stronger as its members become healthier. The whole church of God gains when the members that compose it begin to seek a better and a higher life"  The Pursuit of God, 90. 
 
Yesterday in church we  sang the  song  Hosannah in the Highest and one line that stood out to me as we sang and I thought  back to this verse, it went "break my heart  for  what breaks yours".  That's what it means to be "tuned" in to God, to have a heart that is after, that is concerned about the same  thing  that  His is.  How does or  can that  happen, by submitting  our will  to His in reading  His Word, praying over  it  and  applying it.  We are united  together when we are united in our love for God.
 
May the Holy Spirit work in our lives to keep us in proper tune with the Father and the  Son, as different  instruments with  our lives  playing the same tune in harmony.
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

John 17:20-26 English Standard Version (ESV)

20 "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
 

Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: