Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Verse of the Day 7/18

Verse of the Day 7/18

Philippians 4:11- 12 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Today's verses came across my "path" a couple of times over the last few days.  The first was in Pastor Fil's sermon on Sunday.  It stayed on my mind and a re-read them a few times.  This morning they came up in a devotional that I read.  When things like that happen I generally try to share those verses.

A well known phrase in our Declaration of Independence "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and that these are unalienable rights.  We all should appreciate our freedom and if we don't have it we will desire it.  Sometimes, that pursuit can lead to selfishness and wanting more and more to the point that people pursue things that don't truly bring happiness.

I read the following quote from Charles Spurgeon in reference to being content. "We look for more in this life than it will ever yield to us. If we would be satisfied with less--we would be less dissatisfied. Probably there is as much happiness in one station of life as in another--if we are content in that situation which the Lord has placed us in." What would happen to us if we changed one word in that "declaration", changing happiness to contentment?    Chasing happiness can thrust us into the rat race, never being content with what we have and trying to catch up with or keep ahead of everyone else.  Contentment is being at peace with the current situation, finding joy in it.  It doesn't mean that we can't look to improve things, but it means if we are to remain in the current situation we can be happy and content.    This does not come naturally, contentment is something that is learned, cultivated and nurtured; it is saying "I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am".  The Message

Can we say, like Paul " I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little"?  If so, perhaps we've achieved life, liberty and the pursuit of contentment and be happier for it.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 4:10-14The Message (MSG)

Content Whatever the Circumstances

10-14 I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.

No comments: