Monday, July 2, 2018

Verse of the Day 7/2

Verse of the Day 7/2

Isaiah 1:18-19   "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:

though your sins are like scarlet,
    they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red like crimson,
    they shall become like wool.
19 If you are willing and obedient,
    you shall eat the good of the land;    English Standard Version (ESV)

In yesterday's post from 1 Corinthians 13, the "love chapter" we considered how in today's society there is a lack of civility which is rooted in the lack of love in our society.  Opposing sides have dug in their heels against the other and there is no seeking of common ground, no commitment to come to an agreeable solution to the problems at hand.  Each side would rather see the government "locked down" before giving an inch.   They have made the government at charade, going through the motions, acting like they are doing things, looking out for us, but not truly doing their best.

Today in the Word began a new study on July 1 in the book of Isaiah, reading these verses yesterday made me think that this not only happens in government but in the church or the synagogue as well.  Read the passage below from The Message where the prophet tells the congregation to "quit your worship charades".  It is a call for true repentance which will lead to authentic worship and following God each day of the week instead of going through the motions on Sunday and then going back to our "other life" on Monday.

Before we can make an impact on the world around us for Christ we must be more Christ centered in our worship, each day of the week.  It comes from drawing near to God with a repentant heart, ready to do His will.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much you deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is yours
Every single breath
I'll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart   (The Heart of Worship - Michael W. Smith)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Isaiah 1:10-20 The Message (MSG)

10 "Listen to my Message,
    you Sodom-schooled leaders.
Receive God's revelation,
    you Gomorrah-schooled people.

11-12 "Why this frenzy of sacrifices?"
    God's asking.
"Don't you think I've had my fill of burnt sacrifices,
    rams and plump grain-fed calves?
Don't you think I've had my fill
    of blood from bulls, lambs, and goats?
When you come before me,
    whoever gave you the idea of acting like this,
Running here and there, doing this and that—
    all this sheer commotion in the place provided for worship?

13-17 "Quit your worship charades.
    I can't stand your trivial religious games:
Monthly conferences, weekly Sabbaths, special meetings—
    meetings, meetings, meetings—I can't stand one more!
Meetings for this, meetings for that. I hate them!
    You've worn me out!
I'm sick of your religion, religion, religion,
    while you go right on sinning.
When you put on your next prayer-performance,
    I'll be looking the other way.
No matter how long or loud or often you pray,
    I'll not be listening.
And do you know why? Because you've been tearing
    people to pieces, and your hands are bloody.
Go home and wash up.
    Clean up your act.
Sweep your lives clean of your evildoings
    so I don't have to look at them any longer.
Say no to wrong.
    Learn to do good.
Work for justice.
    Help the down-and-out.
Stand up for the homeless.
    Go to bat for the defenseless.

Let's Argue This Out

18-20 "Come. Sit down. Let's argue this out."
    This is God's Message:
"If your sins are blood-red,
    they'll be snow-white.
If they're red like crimson,
    they'll be like wool.
If you'll willingly obey,
    you'll feast like kings.
But if you're willful and stubborn,
    you'll die like dogs."
That's right. God says so.

No comments: