Friday, July 6, 2018

Verse of the Day 7/6

Verse of the Day 7/6

Isaiah 55:2-3  Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,

    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.     English Standard Version (ESV)

The whole world it seams is involved in the rat race, chasing after money and things that they think will bring them happiness but only leaving them reaching for more yet feeling like Mick Jagger "I can't get no satisfaction".  Today's verses ring out to anyone that has been caught up in that race, even for a time.  There is a better way.

Even as Christians we can try to earn our way into Gods favor by doing things that would please Him, but in the wrong attitude.  It is leaving that "striving in our own effort" behind.  God calls His people to first listen to Him, delight in His word and doing His will, lean into Him for life, a satisfaction down in your soul.

Thomas Wilcox writes:  "When you come to Christ--you must leave behind you:    all your own righteousness,    all your own holiness,     all your own sanctification,    all your own duties,     all your own tears,     all your own repentings, etc.   Oh, this is hard!     You must bring nothing but your sins and miseries to Him. Otherwise, Christ is not fit for you--nor you for Christ!"         Bertrand Russell's view was that we are each to be "a weary but unyielding Atlas," carrying on our own shoulders the world of our own making. Just the picture of carrying that world can make us weary. Frank Sinatra sang of doing it "my way" but it in the end, it would not bring peace. There is a better way.    Jesus called out to the weary "come to me".     Jesus also gave us His two words that changed the world — "Follow Me."

Matthew 11:28-30   Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."     English Standard Version (ESV)



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Isaiah 55:1-4 New Living Translation (NLT)

Invitation to the Lord's Salvation

55 "Is anyone thirsty?
    Come and drink—
    even if you have no money!
Come, take your choice of wine or milk—
    it's all free!
Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength?
    Why pay for food that does you no good?
Listen to me, and you will eat what is good.
    You will enjoy the finest food.

"Come to me with your ears wide open.
    Listen, and you will find life.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you.
    I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.
See how I used him to display my power among the peoples.
    I made him a leader among the nations.

No comments: