Thursday, January 24, 2019

Verse of the Day 1/24

Verse of the Day 1/24

Psalm 118:8-9  It is better to take refuge in the Lord

    than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
    than to trust in princes.     English Standard Version (ESV)

You have probably heard or read about "the exact center of the Bible".  It may vary a bit by translation but I have read that Psalm 118:8 is the exact center of the Bible.  Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter which falls right before it and Psalm 119, the longest chapter follows right after it.  There are 594 chapters before Psalm 118 and 594 chapters after it.  It is interesting to note the message that is at the center of the Bible.  It is about trusting, taking refuge in God rather than man.  That pretty much gets to the center, to the heart of the Bible.  God in Three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are at the heart of the Bible and the Gospel message.

In the New King James Version (below), in verse 5 the psalmist states, "I called on the Lord in distress , the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place".  I've always loved the picture of that statement.  I have the picture in my mind of standing on a mountaintop with a commanding view of the countryside all around.  Our best view and outlook towards life is found in trusting God, trusting His Word and living according to it.

Far too many people put their trust in man.  For some it is trust in themselves.  Others trust in their fellow man and others may think that their hopes reside in a king or political leader that will solve their problems.

These thoughts bring my mind back to the Gospel of John and chapter 16 where we read:

John 16:33   These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you [a]will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."  New King James Version (NKJV)

Whatever problems or trouble we face, we won't find the true answers to life's problems in man or men.  In the world we will have trouble, but we trust, we take refuge in the Lord, the Overcomer, who gives us life now and for eternity.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 118:5-9 New King James Version (NKJV)

I called on the Lord in distress;
The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
The Lord is on my side;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?
The Lord is for me among those who help me;
Therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me.
It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in man.
It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in princes.

No comments: