Friday, February 15, 2019

Verse of the Day 2/15

Verse of the Day 2/5

James 3:9-10   We use our tongue to praise God our Father[a] and then turn around and curse a person who was made in his very image![b] 10 Out of the same mouth we pour out words of praise one minute and curses the next. My brothers and sister, this should never be!  The Passion Translation (TPT)

We live in a turbulent time in our society, exacerbated by a media that thrives on making controversy.  The goal is not to deliver news but to put forth and agenda and mold a society and the way they try to do so is to tear down the opposition in any way possible.  Is this really anything new?  I don't think so.  Unfortunately this is not limited to the secular world.  It shows up within the Christian community as well.   There have been ebbs and flows in this through history, but going back to biblical times you can see evidence of it in today's passage from James.

How can we avoid being caught up in this?  The Bible stands as our reminder of how we are to be.  We need to have it in front of us daily, not just on Sundays.  When i boils down to it, we need it more than daily, we need it constantly.  It is available to us in print, on tablets, in songs on the radio.  But it requires tuning in, listening and being influenced by it and the Holy Spirit.

Do you praise God?  Great.  Do we then turn around and curse or put down someone else who is made in God's image?  I hope not and today's verses tell us this should never be.

I need Thee every hour,
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine,
Can peace afford.
I need Thee, O I need Thee,
Every hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour,
Stay Thou near by;
Temptations lose their power,
When Thou art nigh.
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour,
In joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide,
Or life is vain.
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.                                                              Songwriters: R. Lowry / D. Wagner
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

James 3:7-12 New King James Version (NKJV)

For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the [a]similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? [b]Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.

No comments: