Sunday, February 3, 2019

Verse of the Day 2/3

Verse of the Day 2/3

Psalm 119:132-133 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is your way with those who love your name.
133 Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
and let no iniquity get dominion over me. English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read today's verses this morning I was kind of surprised that there were no"notes" that accompanied these verses in my study Bible. When that happens, it makes me realize that they are straightforward and need little explanation.

We sing the song "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" and these verses would indicate to us that God turns to those who turn their eyes and their hearts towards Him, it is "His way" with those who "love His name" as verse two indicates.

That same person prays that God will "steady my steps" according to His Word, His promises. It is something that the psalmist is familiar with. Psalm 119 was written over the course of David's life. It is in an acrostic with each group of 8 verses beginning (in the Hebrew) with the same letter of the alphabet. David can look back and see not only how God has directed his steps when he turned to Him and also knows how "iniquity"; sin; can get a hold of us. It is when we stray from keeping His Word and His will for us before our eyes.

I'm reading The Passion Translation (below) this year and this is how it translates verse 33:

133 Prepare before me a path filled with your promises,
and don't allow even one sin to have dominion over me.

How much better would our lives and our world be if we prayed this kind of prayer regularly?

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 119:129-136 The Passion Translation (TPT)

I Long to Obey You

129 Your marvelous words are living miracles;
no wonder I long to obey everything you say.
130 Break open your word within me until revelation-light shines out!
Those with open hearts are given insight into your plans.
131 I open my mouth and inhale the word of God
because I crave the revelation of your commands.
132 Turn your heart to me, Lord, and show me your grace
like you do to every one of your godly lovers.
133 Prepare before me a path filled with your promises,
and don't allow even one sin to have dominion over me.
134 Rescue me from the oppression of ungodly men
so that I can keep all your precepts.
135 Let your shining face shine brightly on me, your loving servant.
Instruct me on what is right in your eyes.
136 When I witness the rebellious breaking your laws,
it makes me weep uncontrollably!

  

No comments: