Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Verse of the Day 4/3

Verse of the Day 4/3

Psalm 126:5-6  Those who sow their tears as seeds

will reap a harvest with joyful shouts of glee.
They may weep as they go out carrying their seed to sow,
but they will return with joyful laughter and shouting with gladness
as they bring back armloads of blessing and a harvest overflowing!   The Passion Translation (TPT)

One of the most important lessons that I learned in life shortly after our son Jeff's accident and subsequent brain injury was to be a "see through-er" and not a "look at-er".  I heard it in a message that was told about an accident that had occurred in the man's childhood, someone consoled, challenged and encouraged him with those words and they stuck with him and they have stuck with me.

I was reminded of that as I read today's verses about those who "sow in tears".  Though there may be pain and sorrow in our lives, we are to look ahead, to keep going and not dwell on the past or even the current circumstances.  The act of sewing in tears is the first step in being a see through-er.  As Christians we are to be planting seeds even in those times, as a witness and testimony to others. It involves focusing more on the "what now God" instead of the "why God" or more common "why me, God?" questions that are asked.

John Piper writes, "So here's the lesson: When there are simple, straightforward jobs to be done, and you are full of sadness, and tears are flowing easily, go ahead and do the jobs with tears. Be realistic. Say to your tears: "Tears, I feel you. You make me want to quit life. But there is a field to be sown (dishes to be washed, car to be fixed, sermon to be written).",,,,Then say, on the basis of God's word, "Tears, I know that you will not stay forever. The very fact that I just do my work (tears and all) will in the end bring a harvest of blessing. So go ahead and flow if you must. But I believe (I do not yet see it or feel it fully) — I believe that the simple work of my sowing will bring sheaves of harvest. And your tears will be turned to joy."

If dark clouds seem to be surrounding you, keep going, keep sowing and in doing so may they lead to "sheaves of harvest" and your tears "be turned to joy".


--In Christ,


Mike

  Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 126:3-6 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Lord has done great things for us,
And we are glad.

Bring back our captivity, O Lord,
As the streams in the South.

Those who sow in tears
Shall reap in joy.
He who continually goes [a]forth weeping,
Bearing [b]seed for sowing,
Shall doubtless come again [c]with rejoicing,
Bringing his sheaves with him.

No comments: