Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Verse of the Day 5/28

Verse of the Day 5/28

Psalm 39:6-7 We live our lives like those living in shadows.[a]
All our activities and energies are spent for things that pass away.
We gather, we hoard, we cling to our things,
only to leave them all behind for who knows who.
7 And now, God,[b] I'm left with one conclusion:
my only hope is to hope in you alone! The Passion Translation (TPT)

I read these verses the other day and the same morning I saw a mother fox and several pups show up in the bushes by our pool. Who knows how long they've been around, but today's verses reminded me of how these foxes are, they live, they get by; living in the shadows. When they are gone there is little sign that they've been there at all. Aside from the photo and related comments on facebook; they really don't make much impact in the lives of all the humans around them.

As we go through life, day by day, are we also "living in the shadows". We "gather; hoard; and cling to our things" but how much of it will truly be valued by anyone? May we come to the same conclusion as the psalmist "my only hope is to hope in you alone". In trusting in God, in following Christ; we will be remembered more for serving and ministering to others than by the things that we may leave behind. Sobering thoughts as I am in the process of cleaning out my garage, tossing away things that I once thought were of value and importance.

Blessings,

Mike

Psalm 39 The Passion Translation (TPT)

A Cry for Help
39 For the Pure and Shining One
A song of praising, by King David[a]
1–2 Here's my life motto, the truth I live by:
I will guard my ways for all my days.
I will speak only what is right, guarding what I speak.
Like a watchman guards against an attack of the enemy,
I'll guard and muzzle my mouth
when the wicked are around me.
I will remain silent and will not grumble
or speak out of my disappointment.
But the longer I'm silent the more my pain grows worse!
3–4 My heart burned with a fire within me,
and my thoughts eventually boiled over
until they finally came rolling out of my mouth.
"Lord, help me to know how fleeting my time on earth is.
Help me to know how limited is my life
and that I'm only here but for a moment more.
5 What a brief time you've given me to live![b]
Compared to you my lifetime is nothing at all!
Nothing more than a puff of air, I'm gone so swiftly.
So too are the grandest of men;
they are nothing but a fleeting shadow!"
Pause in his presence
6 We live our lives like those living in shadows.[c]
All our activities and energies are spent for things that pass away.
We gather, we hoard, we cling to our things,
only to leave them all behind for who knows who.
7 And now, God,[d] I'm left with one conclusion:
my only hope is to hope in you alone!




 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: