Sunday, September 20, 2020

Verse of the Day 9/20

Verse of the Day 9/20

 

John 8:58  Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!"  New Living Translation (NLT)

As I read this verse in my devotions this morning it brought me back to Exodus 3 where God introduced Himself to Moses at the burning bush.  From that time on He came to be known and remembered as the Great I Am.  It speaks of His eternity; uncreated, unchanging, undying and everliving.  All through the ages God followers have thought of Him this way.  Here in this passage Jesus clearly tells the Pharisees that He and the Father are One and that He has been with the Father from the beginning.

 

Those who believed Jesus words about who He was and is, have believed His words and have put their faith and trust in who He is as the everliving Son of God.  Take a moment to stop, take a step back and consider what this means for us.  Throughtout the Bible, Old and New Testaments God has been faithful to His people and He has been good.  You've heard it said, "God is good all the time, all the time God is good".

 

In our church service this morning we sang the hymn "Goodness of God".  As we did, I was reminded of the thoughts expressed above as we sang:

 

I love You, Lord
For Your mercy never failed me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

 

I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
And in darkest night You are close like no other
I've known You as a Father
I've known You as a Friend
And I have lived in the goodness of God, yeah!

 

And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God  (Bethel Music)

 

Thoughts of the "everliving One" brought me also to an old hymn:

 

My faith has found a resting place,
  Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Ever-living One,
  His wounds for me shall plead.

 

I need no other argument,
  I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.

I trust that your faith has found a resting place in the Great I Am.  Praise Him for it today.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

 

John 8:52-59 New King James Version (NKJV)

52 Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.' 53 Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?"

54 Jesus answered, "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is [a]your God. 55 Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, 'I do not know Him,' I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."

57 Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?"

58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going[b] through the midst of them, and so passed by.

 


  

No comments: