Monday, October 11, 2021

Verse of the Day 10/11

Verse of the Day 10/11

John 15:7-8
English Standard Version



If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.


Some of the things that we've been considering lately have been that the Lord said in Isaiah 43 "I am God and there is no other"; Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life" (John 14:6); that "Jesus is the image of the invisible God" Colossians 1:15: and that Jesus is the "one mediator between man and God" (1 Timothy 2:5).  This same God loves us and cares for us and wants us to come to Him (Matthew 11:28) wants to provide for us.  

The key to living this life, for having communion, communicating with God is abiding, remaining in Him and His Word.  Now re-read the second portion of verse 8, "by this my Father is glorified".  When we call upon HIm, when we seek Him, when we pray to Him and remain in Him no matter what; He is glorified.

Think of all of the Old Testament stories of the patriarchs, their answered prayers and how God was glorified in them.  Think of the disciples and apostles and their answered prayers.   Think of your own.

Pastor John Piper has said, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him".  Being satisfied has to do with abiding, remaining; such attitudes will bear fruit and will bring glory to God.  I didn't even get to the "ask whatever you wish part".  All too often that is what is thought of first, but if there is true abiding it will will not be the top priority. 

Read the passage below.  How does it speak to you today?


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 15
English Standard Version

I Am the True Vine

15 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.



No comments: