Sunday, October 31, 2021

Verse of the Day 10/31

Verse of the Day 10/31

2 Timothy 4:7-8 New King James Version



I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Today's verse is an encouraging one for us to continue in the battle, to stay the course on to the end when we will receive our reward.  Paul is not boasting in his accomplishments but in his Lord; in the power of faith.

David Jeremiah points out that the word order in the Greek is actually "The good fight, I have fought" and that the emphasis is not on Paul and his accomplishments but on the fight, the race, the faith and thereby on God's grace.

I'm a football fan and these days they keep statistics on everything.  One of my favorites in football is yards after first contact.  When a running back gets the ball this statistic is an indicator of how hard he is to bring down.  He fights for every yard, every inch and never goes down easy.  He may not have the most yards, he may not win a rushing title but when the game is on the line or it is 4th and inches, he is the guy you can count on to give it all he has and won't let one man take him down.

That's a picture of what Paul is talking about.  When we have obstacles placed in our path how do we handle it?  Do we go down easily or do we push on empowered by grace through faith?

If you happen to watch some football today, watch that running back or receiver who gets those tough fought yards "after first contact".  Let them remind you of this verse and apply the same attitude to the challenges in your life.  

David Jeremiah writes, "to fight intensely, to endure bravely, and to guard faithfully - these are the endeavors that Paul knew would allow Timothy to fulfill his divine mission and someday finish well.  These same pursuits will allow the rest of us to finish well too."

Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

2 Timothy 4:6-8
New King James Version

Paul's Valedictory


For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

No comments: