Thursday, November 4, 2021

Verse of the Day 11/4

Verse of the Day 11/4

2 Timothy 1:13-14
English Standard Version


13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.

In yesterday's post from Romans 8 we considered how we are, how we can be convinced, sure and are persuaded about our faith, based on the love and presence of Jesus Christ in our lives.  The thoughts led me to to today's passage and  verse 12 which immediately precede today's verses.  They were converted to a hymn:

  1. I know not why God's wondrous grace
    To me He hath made known,
    Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
    Redeemed me for His own.
    • Refrain:
      But "I know Whom I have believed,
      And am persuaded that He is able
      To keep that which I've committed
      Unto Him against that day."
  2. I know not how this saving faith
    To me He did impart,
    Nor how believing in His Word
    Wrought peace within my heart.


We are not exactly sure how it works, but we know God has done a work in our hearts and in our lives.  Since He has done so, it should have an effect, an impact of how we live our lives.

I am semi-retired and one of the things that I now do to occupy my time and generate a little income is to do some custom canvas work - awnings, grill covers and a few other things.  I prefer "re-covers", because someone else has already done the patterning and I simply have to follow what has been done by someone before me.  That is what Paul is talking about in today's verses.  To live the Christian life, we have plenty of patterns to follow - first and foremost we have Jesus.  We also have Paul, the other disciples, pastors and teaches and we also have our brothers and sisters in Christ. We all know whom we have believed and trust that He will keep what He has entrusted to us until that day when He returns.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

2 Timothy 1:8-14
English Standard Version

Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to[a] a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,[b] 10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.[c] 13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.


No comments: