Saturday, May 28, 2022

Verse of the Day 5/28

Verse of the Day 5/28

1 Corinthians 15:58. New International Version



58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

The words "vain" and "vanity" came up several times in my devotions over the past few days in my reading in Ecclesiastes, here in 1 Corinthians, and yesterday in Philippians 2.  Today's verse and yesterday's were in regards to our labor, our work for the Lord are not in vain.  They count, they are important, that vain things like the vanity mentioned in Ecclesiastes will be gone like the morning mist or your breath on a cold day.

I closed yesterday's post with the words from "At Calvary"  which stated "years I spent in vanity and pride", those are the years spent seeking and doing everything for ourselves.
The verse says "let nothing move you" from your pursuit of God and then "always give yourself fully" to the work of the Lord.  That giving is sacrificing the vain desires for His purposes.  One of the reasons we do this is what He did for us.  Consider the hymn "When I Survey" which "all the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood."

  1. When I survey the wondrous cross
    On which the Prince of glory died,
    My richest gain I count but loss,
    And pour contempt on all my pride.
  2. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
    Save in the death of Christ my God!
    All the vain things that charm me most,
    I sacrifice them to His blood.
  3. See from His head, His hands, His feet,
    Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
    Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
    Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
  4. Were the whole realm of nature mine,
    That were a present far too small;
    Love so amazing, so divine,
    Demands my soul, my life, my all.

What vain things are we willing to sacrifice?



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

1 Corinthians 15:51-58
New International Version

51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."[a]

55 "Where, O death, is your victory?
    Where, O death, is your sting?"[b]

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.



No comments: