Monday, October 16, 2023

Verse of the Day 10/16

Verse of the Day 10/16



John 15:4-5
 New King James Version



Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.


Our Monday Men's Bible study group was in John 15 this morning and today's verses stood out.  In this passage we find the last of Jesus' "I Am" statements fournd in John, "I Am the vine" or true vine.  The other statements tie into this one, we find Him to be the vine as we abide in Him and understand that He is "the bread of life", "the light of the world", "the door", "the way the truth and the life", "the good shepherd", "the resurrection and the life".

The word "abide" is also translated as "remain", or as The Message puts it "make yourselves at home with me".  We were chosen by Jesus to be with Him and to abide, remain with Him through our lives and into eternity.  If we are to grow and "bear fruit", we need to remain connected to the vine, it is our life blood.

David Jeremiah uses the following acronym for abide:

A" stands for absolute surrender. We have to come to Him just as we are, confessing our sin and saying, "You are the potter and I am the clay."
"B" stands for believe. We have to trust Him completely to do with us, for us, and around us what is very best while we stand on His promises.
"I" stands for insight. We have to pour ourselves into His Word each day, learning His ways and gaining His insights for living.
"D" stands for dedication. We have to persevere over time, separating ourselves from sinful habits and from people or places that may hinder our purity.
"E" stands for enthusiasm. We go about His work in the power and energy He provides. 

Are you abiding, remaining, making yourselves "at home" in Christ? It is where we can find peace that cannot be taken away.

There's a peace in my heart that the world never gave,
A peace it cannot take away;
Tho' the trials of life may surround like a cloud,
I've a peace that has come there to stay!

Refrain:
Constantly abiding, Jesus is mine;
Constantly abiding, rapture divine;
He never leaves me lonely, whispers, O, so kind:
"I will never leave thee," Jesus is mine.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 15:1-11
New King James Version

The True Vine

15 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He [a]takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you[b] will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Love and Joy Perfected

"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

11 "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.


No comments: