Sunday, October 22, 2023

Verse of the Day 10/22

Verse of the Day 10/22



John 16:33
New International Version



33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Our Monday Men's Bible study has been going through a study "Jesus' Farewell Message" which comes from John chapters 13-17.  Today's verse is the last verse from chapter 16 which we will be covering tomorrow.  Jesus is preparing the disciples for His departure.  He knows what is coming, how hard it will be for them and how easy it would be for them to lose faith, but His message for them is to "take heart".  Why becaues "He has overcome the world".  They didn't understand it at the moment, but after His death, burial and resurrection they would come to know this and take it to heart.

Oswald Chambers, perhaps best known for his devotional "My Utmost for His Highest" writes, "God does not give us overcoming life: He gives us life as we overcome. The strain is the strength. If there is no strain, there is no strength. Are you asking God to give you life and liberty and joy? He cannot, unless you will accept the strain. Immediately you face the strain, you will get the strength. Overcome your own timidity and take the step, and God will give you to eat of the tree of life and you will get nourishment. If you spend yourself out physically, you become exhausted; but spend yourself spiritually, and you get more strength. God never gives strength for to-morrow, or for the next hour, but only for the strain of the minute.  "

We may be facing some kind of trial in our lives today, or perhaps we're in the middle of a season of trial.  The message is still the same take heart. He will provide the strength and grace to be an "overcomer".  Perhaps you may recall a time when God has seen you through and helped you overcome instead of being overwhelmed.  Maybe you know someone that is going through the same thing.  Share your story with them and encourage them how they too can become an overcomer.





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 16:25-33
New International Version

25 "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."

29 Then Jesus' disciples said, "Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God."

31 "Do you now believe?" Jesus replied. 32 "A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."


No comments: