Sunday, March 9, 2008

Verse of the Day 3/10

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 14-16, Mark 14:10-31
Good morning,
Over the weekend I read a short biography about John Owen, one of the Puritan theologians of the 1600's. It was humbling to read of their pursuit of the knowledge of the Bible but even more the application of it to their lives.
J.I. Packer writes that the Puritans differ from evangelicals today because with them "communion with God was a great thing, to evangelicals today it is a comparatively small thing. The Puritans were concerned about communion with God in a way that we are not. The measure of our concern is the little that we say about it. When Christians meet, they talk to each other about their Christian work and Christian interests, their Christian aquaintances, the state of the churches and the problems of theology - but rarely of their daily experience of God."
What has been your experience when meeting other Christians?
Today's verse comes from John 14 and speaks of the issue.
John 13:16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. NKJV
John Owen wrote, "Our happiness consisteth not in the knowing the things of the gospel, but in the doing of them." And speaking as a pastor he said, "If the word do not dwell with power in us, it will not pass with power from us."John Owen's felt that doing, and not just knowing, should be the goal of his studies. It should be for us as well.
I admit that there is a lot of room for application of this in my life from worrying to controlling the tongue.
My desire has been to get more people involved in reading their Bibles. After this weekend it will be more about reading and doing, or applying what we read.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Jesus Washes the Disciples’ Feet
1 Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.
2 And supper being ended,[a] the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, 4 rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. 5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. 6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?”
7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.”
8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!”
Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
9 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”
10 Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.”
12 So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. NKJV

No comments: