Saturday, March 1, 2008

Verse of the Day -weekend 3/1

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 1-2

Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll once again turn to the psalms. The title of the psalm is "Waiting for the Redemption of the Lord". Think about that for a moment, would you say that you are "waiting for redemption"?
The psalm is a "song of ascent" , sung as the people were going up to the temple to worship.
Read the verses and the chapter below.
Ps 130:7 O Israel, hope in the Lord;
For with the Lord there is mercy,
And with Him is abundant redemption.
8 And He shall redeem Israel
From all his iniquities. NKJV


As I read the psalm this week I was reminded of a couple of songs that have been favorites of mine over the years, one was written by Rich Mullins. It was to be on his next album when his life ended in a fatal car crash. It was entitled "My Deliverer", "my deliverer is coming, my deliverer is standing by. He will never break his promise He has written it across the sky."
Gen 9:16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." NKJV

The other is by Steven Curtis Chapman, "My Redeemer is Faithful and True". I had sung the song in church a couple of times but it really didn't have it's full impact on me until after Jeff's accident. I think you'll see why.

My Redeemer is Faithful and True

As I look back on the road I've travelled,
I see so many times He carried me through;
And if there's one thing that I've learned in my life,
My Redeemer is faithful and true.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

[Chorus:]
My Redeemer is faithful and true.
Everything He has said He will do,
And every morning His mercies are new.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

My heart rejoices when I read the promise
'There is a place I am preparing for you.'
I know someday I'll see my Lord face to face,
'Cause my Redeemer is faithful and true.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

[Chorus]

And in every situation He has proved His love to me;
When I lack the understanding, He gives more grace to me.

[Chorus]


Whatever difficult situation or trial you may be going through or have gone through, my prayer of encouragement is that of the psalmist, "O friend, hope in the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy."
There is so much else to this psalm. How does it speak to you today?
What song will be in your heart as you go to worship this weekend?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace NIV

Ps 130:1-131:1

Waiting for the Redemption of the Lord

A Song of Ascents.

130 Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord;
2 Lord, hear my voice!
Let Your ears be attentive
To the voice of my supplications.

3 If You, Lord, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
4 But there is forgiveness with You,
That You may be feared.

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
And in His word I do hope.
6 My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning —
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

7 O Israel, hope in the Lord;
For with the Lord there is mercy,
And with Him is abundant redemption.
8 And He shall redeem Israel
From all his iniquities.


NKJV

No comments: