Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Verse of the Day 3/4

Good morning,
A recent "These Days" devotional spoke of a conversation within a Bible study group about prayer, and letting God to take more active control, to lead us.
A memeber of the group objected saying that that sounded dangerous, then added, "I'm used to telling God what I want, and then God either gets on board or not. Now we're talking about God calling the shots. I'm sorry but I'm not ready to give God that kind of latitude".
If we're honest, I believe that most of us would have to admit to being like this, telling God what we want and waiting to see if He will "get on board".
It's easy enough to check this out, just take a look back on your recent prayers.
Today's verse comes from Philippians 2:
Phil 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. NKJV
Our prayers, our lives should be more about "letting" God work in you "to will" and to do his good pleasure.
It's a matter of changing the will, from ours to His.
In verse 12 the Greek word for "work out" means to continually work to bring something to fulfillment or completion. Our salvation has been accomplished but we are a work in process, and this ongoing battle of the wills will continue, and it is a matter that should be worked out "with fear and trembling".
MacArthur comments that this fear and trembling is "the attitude with which Christians are to pursue their sanctification. It involves a healthy fear of offending God, and a righteous awe and respect for Him."
What will your prayers be like today? Will it be telling God what you want, or asking God to show you what He wants for you? Work it out.
The heading for the passage below is simply "Light Bearers". Will you be one today?
In Christ,
Mike


Phil 2:12-19

Light Bearers

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.


NKJV

No comments: