Sunday, March 16, 2008

Verse of the Day weekend 3/16

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 28-33, Mark 16:1 - Luke 1;38
Good morning,
Have you ever been in situations where you are "up against it", you feel like your back is to the wall with knowhere to go? David felt that way several times in his life, especially when he was being pursued by King Saul.
The NKJV titles the psalm "The Lord's Goodness to the Faithful". In today's verse the psalmist speaks of being in the "midst of trouble" but still says with confidence that the Lord will "perfect that which concerns me".
Ps 138:7 When I walk into the thick of trouble,
keep me alive in the angry turmoil.
With one hand
strike my foes,
With your other hand
save me.
Finish what you started in me, God.
Your love is eternal — don't quit on me now. THE MESSAGE

The thought from Psalm 136 in The Message carries over to this psalm, "don't quit on me now".
"Finish what You started" in the NKJV is "perfect". The NKJV Commentary states, the same Hebrew verb is translated "perform" in Ps. 57:2. The point of the word is that God performs on behalf of His servants." The psalmist realizes, as we should in our lives, that even in the troubled times, the difficult situations, that God is working in all of this.
It make me think of Philipians 1:6:
Phil 1:6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; NKJV
May you have this confidence today in your life, in your circumstance.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Ps 138

138 I will praise You with my whole heart;
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
2 I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
3 In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul.

4 All the kings of the earth shall praise You, O Lord,
When they hear the words of Your mouth.
5 Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
For great is the glory of the Lord.
6 Though the Lord is on high,
Yet He regards the lowly;
But the proud He knows from afar.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me;
You will stretch out Your hand
Against the wrath of my enemies,
And Your right hand will save me.
8 The Lord will perfect that which concerns me;
Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.
NKJV

No comments: