Saturday, March 29, 2008

Verse of the day - weekend 3/28

Through the Bible -Judges 1-5, Luke 7:36 - 8:9

Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll once again turn to the Psalms. Psalm 47:1 tells us "clap your hands" and "shout to God" with the voice of triumph.
It's not always easy, in fact it can be very difficult to have this attitude in the midst of trying circumstances.
The attitude of our heart in those circumstances may be more like the psalmist in Psalm 42 where we go for today's verse.
Psalm 42:11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.

Can you think of others in the Bible who found themselves in trying circumstances yet, were still able to praise, even sing praise to the Lord?
Derek Thomas writes, "Christians are tempted, of course, to be discouraged and depressed by the force of overwhelming circumstances. But in such circumstances, we must tell ourselves that we have no right to feel the way we do! Paul, who knew what it was to be in prison, to be beaten and spat upon, to be cold shouldered and ignored, commands us to rejoice, despite what we may feel: "rejoice in the Lord always, again I say, rejoice" (Phil. 4:4)
Paul was never one to ask of others what he did not do himself. That is why, throughout the record of his life, we can detect his joy even in the most difficult and testing of situations."

Picture Paul and Silas singing songs while bound in chains. Picture Joseph in the Old Testament. Can you think of others? In a way that's a trick question. One of the reasons they could be that way because they were thinking of, and ministering to others during those times.
They were able to to so by the grace of God, which of itself is a gift of God.
The book of Philippians gives testimony to this. Written while Paul was in prison begins and ends speaking of the grace of God.
1:2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.[c] Amen.
As you prepare for worship this weekend, may you "hope in God" and be able to praise Him in your circumstances.
In Christ,
Mike
Psalm 42: 1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?[b]
3 My tears have been my food day and night,
While they continually say to me,
“Where is your God?”

4 When I remember these things,
&nb sp;I pour out my soul within me.
For I used to go with the multitude;
I went with them to the house of God,
With the voice of joy and praise,
With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
For the help of His countenance.[c]

6 O my God,[d] my soul is cast down within me;
Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,
And from the heights of Hermon,
From the Hill Mizar.
7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be wit h me—
A prayer to the God of my life.

9 I will say to God my Rock,
“Why have You forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
10 As with a breaking of my bones,
My enemies reproach me,
While they say to me all day long,
“Where is your God?”

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
&nb sp;And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.

No comments: