Friday, April 11, 2008

Verse of the Day 4/11

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 10-12, Luke 14:1-25

Good morning,
Yesterday we witnessed the conversion of the Ethiopian eunuch. He had been seeking God, had not found him in the pagan religions, he wanted to find out more of this God of the Jews. He may have found religion in the synagogue or church, but came away still searching for God. God found him by sending Philip to meet him as we read in Martyn Lloyd-Jones comments "arise and go towards the south at noon".
In today's passage Saul is carrying out his persecution of the church, of Christ when he is met by Jesus on the road to Damascus.
I picture it as being a "white hot" day like we might experience in North Carolina in mid August. It didn't deter Saul from his mission. However, he was stopped in his tracks by a vision, a great light brighter than the noon day sun, blinded him.
Acts 22:6 "Now it happened, as I journeyed and came near Damascus at about noon, suddenly a great light from heaven shone around me. 7 And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?' NKJV
After "it happened", after he questioned Jesus and heard Jesus' answer, " Saul responded by saying "What shall I do Lord?".

Saul had thought that he was carrying out God's will in persecuting Jesus. Jesus met him along the road and sent him to Damascus to be told all the things "that were appointed" to him.
Saul had been practicing religion, following the prescribed rules above and beyond the call of duty of the synagogue, persecuting the Christians who he thought were enemies of God. Now he had found salvation in the one that he had been persecuting.
The though of "outshining the sun" made me think of a praise song that we sang in church recently, "Glorious One" by Steve Fee.

Glorious One

Our hands are lifted high
our hearts are bowing reverence
and we're surrounded by
the glory of Your presence

with every creature every tongue
we're lifting our voice to the Glorious One

Glorious One
Glorious One
Light of the world
You outshine the sun
King of all Kings
eternity sings
Glorious One

God of infinite worth
with hands that carve out the ocean
You hold the universe
and still You run to the broken

with every heart that's been redeemed
we're lifting our song to the Glorious King

there is none more beautiful
there is none more wonderful (repeat)


Where did Jesus meet you? In the church or along the road it doesn't matter, what matters is that He will use whatever means it takes.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Acts 22:1-17

22 "Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now." 2 And when they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they kept all the more silent.

Then he said: 3 "I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, taught according to the strictness of our fathers' law, and was zealous toward God as you all are today. 4 I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women, 5 as also the high priest bears me witness, and all the council of the elders, from whom I also received letters to the brethren, and went to Damascus to bring in chains even those who were there to Jerusalem to be punished.

6 "Now it happened, as I journeyed and came near Damascus at about noon, suddenly a great light from heaven shone around me. 7 And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?' 8 So I answered, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.'

9 "And those who were with me indeed saw the light and were afraid, but they did not hear the voice of Him who spoke to me. 10 So I said, 'What shall I do, Lord?' And the Lord said to me, 'Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do.' 11 And since I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of those who were with me, I came into Damascus.

12 "Then a certain Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good testimony with all the Jews who dwelt there, 13 came to me; and he stood and said to me, 'Brother Saul, receive your sight.' And at that same hour I looked up at him. 14 Then he said,'The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth. 15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'


NKJV

No comments: