Friday, April 18, 2008

Verse of the Day 4/18

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 27-29, Luke 17:20-37

Good morning,
Our church is going through a series regarding prayer in small groups and in Bible studies.
As we've seen in the verses from the last few days a key aspect or area of prayer for Christians should be for others. The church, family, neighbors, friends and ulimately for His Kingdom.
Today's verse comes from the book of Matthew where Jesus shows how He feels about the things going on in the world around him.
Matt 9:36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. NKJV
It's pretty much the scene from Jeremiah's time, pretty much the scene for today. Jeremiah had compassion for the people Jesus has compassion for them. What was His answer to the problem? To send out His disciples, to pray for more "helpers" for the harvest.
Matt 9:37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; 38 therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." ESV
The ESV says to pray "earnestly" you might also use the word fervently. We should be crying out to God for the community for the nation, mobilizing our small groups, Bible study groups, our whole churches to go to out "into the harvest". It is not only the crying out that is important it is the going out. Prayer leads to action.
I'm reminded of the Steve Green / Larnell Harris recording:

"Teach Me to Love".

All my life I've had to struggle to be free
Though I see no end in sight
I stand in line with men
Who made a vow to never stop the fight
And to trust that you can comprehend
A loss you've never known
Will take a love that I have searched for
But love I cannot find alone

There's no power but the power of the cross
That can melt my hardened heart
And show me all the pride and arrogance
That tear our souls apart
For injustice that you suffer
And for our nation's shameful sin
I humbly ask for your forgiveness
We need to learn to love again

Chorus:
Lord, teach me to love
Show me how to care for others
Cause my soul to burn within
For the fellowship of my brother
Only You can break the chains
That have held me for so long
Lord, You're my hope, my only hope
Teach me to love

Chorus

So daily I seek to know the Christ
Who suffered for all men
For in Him I find the courage
To ask again and again


Lord teach me to Love.

I can see the heart of Jeremiah in this song crying out for the nation, realizing that only Christ can break the chains of sin and that the way to reach out to the world is in love, love for our brothers, neighbors. Which begs the question "who is my brother" and "who is my neighbor"?
If we are to reach others it is through Christ. He is our only hope. Daily, seek to know Him more.
As you see what is going on in the world around you what are your thoughts, what is your prayer?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Matt 9:35-10:1

The Harvest Is Plentiful, the Laborers Few

35 And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; 38 therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."


ESV

No comments: