Saturday, April 12, 2008

Verse of the Day - weekend 4/12

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 13-17, Luke 14:25-15:10

Good morning,
I like having my morning devotions in specific places. One is in "my" recliner in the living room, the other is out in the "Carolina room" (or screened in porch for most of us northerners). Today marked the fist day of the year that it was warm enough to sit outside without a robe or sweatshirt. I love being in God's Word and in prayer amid the sounds His creation singing (the birds) and the beauty of spring with the flowers and blossoming trees.
Another thing that I was able to see was how weeds have crept in and started growing in areas they shouldn't be. The yard needs a lot of work. Where do I start?
Today's verse comes from Psalm 119, a psalm that is all about the Word.
Ps 119:132 Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.
133 Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me. NKJV

We can have "winters" in our spiritual relationship with God as well. Times where we fall away from spending as much time in His word. When that happens it is easy for "weeds", sin, to creep into our lives. Getting back into His Word will reveal these things to us.
Can you say "I love the Lord" this morning? Do you need to get closer to Him in His Word and in prayer? These verses can easily be said as a prayer for God's mercy, for His guidance, and for deliverance from temptation and sin.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Ps 119:129-137

129 p PE

Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul keeps them.
130 The entrance of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple.
131 I opened my mouth and panted,
For I longed for Your commandments.
132 Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.
133 Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me.
134 Redeem me from the oppression of man,
That I may keep Your precepts.
135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
And teach me Your statutes.
136 Rivers of water run down from my eyes,
Because men do not keep Your law.


NKJV

No comments: