Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Verse of the Day 4/30

Through the Bible - 1 Kings 2-3, Luke 23:1-25

Good morning,
Our church has been going through Philip Yancey's video series " Prayer, Does it Make any Difference?" which is based on his book on prayer.
The final chapter which most of us will have finished this week is titled Does Prayer Change Anything? Think about that for a minute, maybe even take the time to write down your answers.
Today's verses are what he used to launch the chapter and come from Psalm 143 a psalm of David for guidance and deliverance. I decided to use "THE MESSAGE" which sounds like prayer for today:
Ps 143:8-10
If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice,
I'll go to sleep each night trusting in you.
Point out the road I must travel;
I'm all ears, all eyes before you.
Save me from my enemies, God —
you're my only hope!
Teach me how to live to please you,
because you're my God.

Verse 6 gives you an idea of how David was feeling when he prayed this psalm:
Ps 143:6 I spread out my hands to You;
My soul longs for You like a thirsty land. NKJV

Have you ever found yourself in a desert place, a thirsty land? Are you right now? Maybe you'd like to offer up a prayer like David did in verse 11, "revive me for your names sake". Who was he praying for? He was praying for God's glory resulting from personal revival.
A couple of songs came to mind when reading and thinking about these verse and the questions raised in the title of the book and the final chapter in Yancey's book.
The first that came to mind was "When God's People Pray" by Wayne Watson


When God's People Pray

Trouble knockin' on your window pane,
Stormy weather at your door.
And the outlook for the day ahead like the day before.

People tell you prayin' changes things,
But the words don't stop the fear.
The prayer is only pious rambling without a Father's ear.

He will not turn away when His people pray.

When God's people pray,
and take the pains of earth to the doors of heaven.
When God's people pray,
there is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven.
And merely 'cos you can't explain a way.
When God' people pray...

Hopeless situation turns around, dilema passes by and by.
Look, there's a never-ending field of blue!,
past your clouded sky.

He alone can know the need in me before a single word begins;
The Holy Spirit intercedes for me.
I will trust in Him!

No, He will not turn away when His people pray.

When God's people pray!
There is hope reborn, there is sin forgiven!
And merely 'cos you can't explain a way!

When God's people pray...


Prayer, does it make any difference? How would you answer it now?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net


143:1 Hear my prayer, O Lord,Give ear to my supplications!In Your faithfulness answer me,And in Your righteousness. 2 Do not enter into judgment with Your servant,For in Your sight no one living is righteous.
3 For the enemy has persecuted my soul;He has crushed my life to the ground;He has made me dwell in darkness,Like those who have long been dead. 4 Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me;My heart within me is distressed.
5 I remember the days of old;I meditate on all Your works;I muse on the work of Your hands. 6 I spread out my hands to You;My soul longs for You like a thirsty land.Selah
7 Answer me speedily, O Lord;My spirit fails!Do not hide Your face from me,Lest I be like those who go down into the pit. 8 Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,For in You do I trust;Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,For I lift up my soul to You.
9 Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies;In You I take shelter. 10 Teach me to do Your will,For You are my God;Your Spirit is good.Lead me in the land of uprightness.

11 Revive me, O Lord, for Your name's sake!For Your righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble. 12 In Your mercy cut off my enemies,And destroy all those who afflict my soul;For I am Your servant.
NKJV

No comments: