Saturday, April 26, 2008

Verse of the Day - weekend 4/26

Through the Bible - 2 Samuel 17-21, Luke 21:20 - 22:23

Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll go to the psalms to Psalm 104.
As I was sitting on the back porch this morning and reading I could see and hear the beauty of spring around me. A little thing (literally) made me happy. It was the sound of a wren singing in the yard. Both of my grandfathers had made wren houses when I was a kid and I still have one that it probably older than me hanging in my yard. The small northern wrens are not as common down here and last year the wren house was vacant. Hopefully one of those singing this moring will find "this old house" attractive.
God's creation sings, not only in the birds but in the clouds, the storms, and the stars in the heavens on a clear night.
Read today's verse and think about what He has created.
Ps 104:24 O Lord, how manifold are Your works!
In wisdom You have made them all.
The earth is full of Your possessions — NKJV


Today's verse and passage point back to Genesis 1 and the fifth day of creation.

Gen 1:20-21 God spoke: "Swarm, Ocean, with fish and all sea life!
Birds, fly through the sky over Earth!"
God created the huge whales,
all the swarm of life in the waters,
And every kind and species of flying birds.
God saw that it was good.
(from THE MESSAGE)


All this reminded me of the hymn that goes back as far as I can remember in childhood.

How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!


When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Chorus
And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
Chorus

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"


Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!


Praise the God of creation and not creation itself this weekend. May your meditation be sweet to Him, may you be glad in the Lord.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Ps 104:24-105:1

24 O Lord, how manifold are Your works!In wisdom You have made them all.The earth is full of Your possessions — 25 This great and wide sea,In which are innumerable teeming things,Living things both small and great. 26 There the ships sail about;There is that LeviathanWhich You have made to play there.
27 These all wait for You,That You may give them their food in due season. 28 What You give them they gather in;You open Your hand, they are filled with good. 29 You hide Your face, they are troubled;You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust. 30 You send forth Your Spirit, they are created;And You renew the face of the earth.
31 May the glory of the Lord endure forever;May the Lord rejoice in His works. 32 He looks on the earth, and it trembles;He touches the hills, and they smoke.
33 I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. 34 May my meditation be sweet to Him;I will be glad in the Lord. 35 May sinners be consumed from the earth,And the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul!Praise the Lord!
T
NKJV

No comments: