Friday, January 1, 2010

Verse of the Day 1/1

Through the Bible - Genesis 1-3, Matthew 1
 
Happy New Year!
The new year most often means new year's resolutions.  They are often goals that we put in place for ourselves, for our personal well being ranging from losing weight, to quit smoking, to spending more time in God's Word, and growing in our relationship to God and loved ones.
 
Our worldview will play an important part in the course that we lay out and how well we follow it.  Framing our worldview according to God's Word is key to our spiritual well being.
 
For today's verses we'll go to the book of Proverbs:

Prov 2:1  My child, listen to what I say,
and treasure my commands.
2 Tune your ears to wisdom,
and concentrate on understanding.
3 Cry out for insight,
and ask for understanding.  NLT

What will be the result if we commit ourselves to the Lord and His Word?  Skip down a few verses:
Prov 2:9 Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair,
and you will find the right way to go.  NLT
 
The process is a not a passive one, we don't just sit back and absorb is through osmosis.  It takes effort, our heart soul and mind.  Look at the words used in these verses.  We are to listen (or read) to, treasure, tune in, and cry out to God for understanding.  If we do so we will find the right path for our lives.  He will transform us from the inside out.
 
From the Inside Out
 
A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
my heart and my soul, Lord I give you control
Consume me from the inside out Lord
Let justice and praise become my embrace
To love You from the inside out

Your will above all else, my purpose remains
The art of losing myself in bringing you praise
Even if you've committed and tried before, commit yourself to the Lord and His Word for the coming year, for His will above all else.
 
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 
Prov 2:1-12
2 1 My child, listen to what I say,
and treasure my commands.
2 Tune your ears to wisdom,
and concentrate on understanding.
3 Cry out for insight,
and ask for understanding.
4 Search for them as you would for silver;
seek them like hidden treasures.
5 Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord,
and you will gain knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord grants wisdom!
From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest.
He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.
8 He guards the paths of the just
and protects those who are faithful to him.
9 Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair,
and you will find the right way to go.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will fill you with joy.
11 Wise choices will watch over you.
Understanding will keep you safe.  NLT.

No comments: