Friday, January 29, 2010

Verse of the Day 1/29

Through the Bible - Exodus 20-22, Matthew 20:1-16
 
Good morning,
The past couple of weeks seem to have been filled with prayer requests for friends and relatives of friends battling cancer and other serious illnesses, a serious injury from a car accident, and recurrent thoughts on the tragedies in Haiti.
 
They brought me back to a time, 10 years ago, as our oldest son Jeff was in the early, very early stages of recovering from his car accident.  At the time we were thankful that he was alive, but he couldn't talk, drink thru a straw (except for thick liquids), and had to eat ground up food.  During that time I was using a "My Utmost for His Higest" journal.  There were many unanswered questions regarding Jeff's prognossis, and hope  at times wavered.
I picked up that journal last night and read the following entry.
 
"Lord, take Jeff, use him for Your glory.  I pray that you would heal him, show him mercy and compassion, for Your glory.  Take me Lord, take control, guide me, use me, strengthen my faith, and help me to diligently seek after you every day."
 
I don't remember making that prayer, but I'lm thankful that it was writtten down.  Ten years later I can see how it was answered in so many ways, not as I had envisioned them, but as God did.  But He knew my words, my heart before I even said or wrote that prayer.
For today's verse we'll go to Lamentations, written by Jeremiah, the weeping prophet, someone who knew what it was like to cry out to God for himself, those close to him and his nation.   It was a verse that I had written down in my journal at that time.
 
Lam 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night,
as the watches of the night begin;
pour out your heart like water
in the presence of the Lord.
Lift up your hands to him
for the lives of your children,   NIV

Consider what it means to pour out your heart like water.  The picture that I get is more like pouring from a bucket than from a teapot or pitcher with which you have a lot of control and only pour out as much as needed.  With a bucket or a watering can in your garden you pour it out until it is all gone, you are not holding back, not saving some for later.  You are leaving it all in the garden.  Laying it all on the line.
 
When was the last time you prayed like that for yourself, your children, loved ones or friends?
 
If you do so, or need to do so today, I would encourage you to write it down in a journal.  You may be surprised to see how God answers it, even or perhaps especially in ten years time.
 
The Lord certainly answered many prayers for Jeff, in many ways and in ways that we may not have expected, but He did heal him, show him mercy and compassion, and He is using Jeff for His glory.  The joy of the Lord is his strength, and he is a blessing to those who come to know him.
 
I thought that I'd post a portion of Psalm 139 which I read in a devotional this morning.  Read it below.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 139:1-11
 
139 1 O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I'm far away.
3 You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
4 You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
5 You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
 
7 I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
8 If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave, you are there.
9 If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.  NLT

No comments: