Thursday, January 28, 2010

Verse of the Day 1/28

Through the Bible - Exodus 17-19, Matthew 19:16-30
 
Good morning,
Once we near the end of high school or college we begin, in earnest (most of us at least) to search for, to seek our place in this world.  There is a broad landscape before us and we must choose which way we should go.
Michael W. Smith wrote the song "My Place in this World", here are a few lines.
Lookin' for a reason
Roamin' through the night to find
My place in this world
My place in this world
Not a lot to lean on
I need your light to help me find
My place in this world
My place in this world

There are several ways to carve out some space for ourselves these days.  We have social networks like Myspace and Facebook, we can create our own blogs, we can join any number of organizations, and we can worship God through many denominations.  There are many roads to choose from but only one right path.  For today's verse we'll go back to another verse that Pastor Bob referrenced in last Sunday's sermon
.
Matt 7:13 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.   NLT
or from the Amplified Bible:

Matthew 7:13Enter through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and spacious and broad is the way that leads away to destruction, and many are those who are entering through it.

    14But the gate is narrow (contracted [a]by pressure) and the way is straitened and compressed that leads away to life, and few are those who find it.(A)

I like the way the Amplified puts it "spacious and broad" is the way to destruction.  There are plenty of places, of ways to lose ourselves in this world.  But the gate, God's gate, God's way is narrow "contracted" or squeezed by the pressures of the world in advertising, TV shows, peer pressure and our own selfish pride.
 
The verse and the the thought of the narrow way have been on my mind all week.  Several things have come to mind.  The narrow way reminded me of John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" an excellent allegory of Christian's walk along the narrow path.  The narrow way reminded me of Psalm 23.    It reminded me of the old hymn "On Higher Ground"and it also reminded me of the chorus I remember singing as a kid "I have decided to follow Jesus".
 
I have decided to follow Jesus,
I have decided to follow Jesus,
I have decided to follow Jesus,
No turning back, no turning back.
 
The world behind me, the cross before me.....  no turning back no turning back.
 
"The God of the Bible is the righteous God of holy love. The trouble is, however, that we have become paradoxically the glory and garbage of the universe. Our great need is peace with God, and not just with God but also with one another.

The broad notion should humble us at the thought of a righteous God of holy loving purpose who, in love, has never abandoned his wayward creatures but in a plan of rescue has begun to reclaim the created order and will in the end restore creation to himself and to his glory. Love is the motive, glory the goal. The narrow one brings us to Christ and his cross. He is the linchpin of the plan. We are brought to a real Christ, to a real cross, to a real cost." —Graham A. Cole,

Psalm 23:3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.

The narrow way is definitely not the easy way, but it is the only way to the city of God. 
Heb 11:10 Abraham was confidently looking forward to a city with eternal foundations, a city designed and built by God.  NLT
 
Read the verses from The Message below.  Don't take shortcuts, diligently follow.  Will you, have you "decided to follow Jesus, no turning back"?
 
Matt 7:13-14
Being and Doing
 
"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life — to God! — is vigorous and requires total attention.   (from THE MESSAGE:)

No comments: