Monday, January 25, 2010

Verse of the Day 1/25

Through the Bible - Exodus 9-10, Matthew 18:1-20
 
Good morning,
The title for our pastor's message this weekend was "Loving Monday's", which is probably not how most of us feel about it.  The song leading into the message gave some indication as to why. 
 
"Something More"
Monday, hard to wake up
Fill my coffee cup, I'm out the door
Yeah, the freeway's standing still today
It's gonna make me late, and thats for sure
I'm running out of gas and out of time
Never gonna make it there by nine
[Chorus:]
There's gotta be something more
Gotta be more than this
I need a little less hard time
I need a little more bliss
I'm gonna take my chances
Taking a chance I might
Find what I'm looking for
There's gotta be something more

I'll make it short and sweet, so listen up
I could work my life away, but why?
I got things to do before I die

You best believe that I'm not gonna wait
'Cause there's gotta be something more
 
 Have you ever felt that way that there has to be something more to life than the rat race and the keeping up with the Jones's?
The first scripture that Bob referenced in his sermon was Hebrews 13:5 which will be our verse for today.  Pay close attention to the Amplified Bible translation.
Heb 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be satisfied with what you have. God has said,
"I will never leave you;
I will never forget you."  NCV
or from the Amplified Bible
Hebrews 13:5 Let your [a]character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] [b]Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor [c]give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [d][I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor [e]let [you] down ([f]relax My hold on you)! [[g]Assuredly not!](A)   Amplified Bible
 

The Amplified Bible says "let your character or moral disposition be...".  A person's disposition is the predominant or prevailing tendency of one's spirits. It has to do with our tendencies or inclinations.  The Bible makes it clear what our priorities as Christians are supposed to be and it is not towards greed, avarice, lust and a craving for more of what this world entices us with.

 

It requires living by faith and not by sight.  Notice how the Amplified version tells us three times that God tells us "I will not in any degree leave you helpless or forsake you. What kind of confidence should this give us, to live for Him, knowing that He won't let us down or relax His hold on us.

He won't relax His hold on us.

 

So where to we go to find more to this life?  This verse tells us.  Steven Curtis Chapman gives us an idea of this in his song.

 

More to This Life -

 

But there's more to this life than living and dying,
More than just trying to make it through the day;
More to this life, more than these eyes alone can see,
And there's more than this life alone can be.

So where do we start to find every part
Of what makes this life complete;
If we turn our eyes to Jesus we'll find
Life's true beginning is there at the cross where He died.
He died to bring us . . .

More to this life.

 

John Piper writes in his book "Don't Waste Your Life" that "God created us to live with a single passion; to joyfully display His supreme excellence in all spheres of life.  The Wasted Life is the life without this passion.  God calls us to pray and think and dream and plan and work not to be made much of (with all our stuff), but to make much of Him in every part of our lives."

 

What is your disposition today?

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Heb 13:1-9
Jesus Doesn't Change
13 Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love. Be ready with a meal or a bed when it's needed. Why, some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it! Regard prisoners as if you were in prison with them. Look on victims of abuse as if what happened to them had happened to you. Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex.
Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote,
God is there, ready to help;
I'm fearless no matter what.
Who or what can get to me?
Appreciate your pastoral leaders who gave you the Word of God. Take a good look at the way they live, and let their faithfulness instruct you, as well as their truthfulness. There should be a consistency that runs through us all. For Jesus doesn't change — yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself.    (from THE MESSAGE)

No comments: