Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Verse of the Day 1/20

Through the Bible - Genesis 48-49  , Matthew 15:1-28
 
Good morning,
The other day in reading through Ecclesiastes the following statement that has been on my mind for a few days as I considered the last couple devotionals:
Eccl 3:11  He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.  NKJV

Yesterday we considered how the man stumbled upon his treasure, the treausure that was worth everything he had to give.  For today's verse we'll go to the flipside of the two short parables.
Matt 13:45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls,  46 who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.   NKJV

This verse shows the picture of a person who has "eternity in his heart", but instead of stumbling upon it, he has been searching for it, perhaps for his whole life.  The reaction is the same as the person who stumbled upon it.  Once a person finds it nothing else will do, he has to have it. 
 
While typing this, flying over west Texas, I had my headphone on listening to Chris Tomilin when the following song came on.  It is fitting.
 
With Me - Chris Tomlin
 
I open my mouth and You speak for me
You move the mountains and roll back the sea

I will not afraid
I will never be ashamed
For You are with me
You are with me

I've seen enough to know
That You're my only hope
I don't want to go
If You're not with me

We open our hands and You reach for us
You are the motion of the universe
 

Tomlin says that he's seen enough to know, he's found the pearl. 
 
The merchant found the pearl and it changed everything.  His world was turned upside down, heaven came down and glory filled his soul.  Have you seen enough to know that this Treasure is our only hope for this life and forever after.  Not to give all for this pearl would be utter foolishness, doomed to having a restless heart.
 
How many people search for meaning, search for true faith in their lives like the merchant searched for the pearl?
 
May your heart be like that of the merchant that had found the pearl in the parable.  in Charles Spurgeon's sermon on this parable, "A Great Bargain" -"Ah, and when a man has got a noble object before him, and says, "Before I die, I will accomplish something that shall be right and true and beneficial to my fellow men," he will face hardships that would baffle his fellows. I pray God that he may have the perseverance to carry that out, and that he may say, "Is there anything right to be learned: I will learn it, let it cost me what it may of care and toil, of headaches and heartaches, of buying experience and burning the midnight oil. If there is anything to be done that is good and true, I will do it at any hazard, for I am seeking goodly pearls."
 
Augustine - "for Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Him"
 
Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Matt 13:44-47
The Parable of the Hidden Treasure
44 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price
45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls,  46 who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.   NKJV

No comments: