Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Verse of the Day 5/11

Through the Bible - 2 Kings 5-6, John 4:43-54
 
Good morning,
Yesterday we considered how Jesus ministered "along the road", out among the people and in the community.  We are challenged to bring our faith to the world to obey the Holy Spirit's promptings out in the world.
 
I was reading in John 17 this morning where Jesus prayed to the Father for Himself, for us, and the world.  We'll go there for today's verse.
 
John 17:18 As you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world.    NLT

Jesus  began His prayer, praying for himself to be glorified in the Father's presence, then prays that His followers, including us, would be able to share that glory, drawing us into His prayer.
 
Skip down to verses 20 and 21 below where we see the purpose of His sending us out, "that the world may believe and be convinced that God had sent Jesus."  Isn't that our mission?

 John 17:20  20Neither for these alone do I pray [it is not for their sake only that I make this request], but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust in, cling to, rely on) Me through their word and teaching,

    21That they all may be one, [just] as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that You have sent Me.  Amplified Bible

 

Richard Burridge writes, "As Jesus reminded His disciples earlier, "you did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit (15:16) Now Jesus looks beyond His immediate disciples to the result of that consecrated mission, to the fruit they will bear."

In this prayer He is looking beyond to the fruit that we will bear as we go out into our world with His message in word and in deed, knowing that He is always with us.

 

Matt. 28: 19Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

    20Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be).   Amplified Bible

Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 17:11-21
11 Now I am departing the world; I am leaving them behind and coming to you. Holy Father, keep them and care for them — all those you have given me — so that they will be united just as we are. 
12 During my time here, I have kept them safe. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold. 
13 "And now I am coming to you. I have told them many things while I was with them so they would be filled with my joy. 
14 I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not. 
15 I'm not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. 
16 They are not part of this world any more than I am. 
17 Make them pure and holy by teaching them your words of truth. 
18 As you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. 
19 And I give myself entirely to you so they also might be entirely yours. 
20 "I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony. 
21 My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father — that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me. 
NLT

No comments: