Thursday, May 13, 2010

Verse of the Day 5/13

Through the Bible - 2 Kings 10-11, John 5:30-47
 
Good morning,
In Acts 11:26 we read "the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."   NKJV  The word here literally means "little Christ's".
Samuel Davies wrote, "To be a Christian, in the popular and fashionable sense, is no really difficult or excellent thing. It is to be baptized, to profess the Christian religion; to believe, like our neighbors, that Christ is the Messiah, and to attend upon public worship once a week, in some church or another. In this sense, a man may be a 'Christian'--and yet be habitually careless about eternal things. He may be a 'Christian'--and yet fall short of the morality of many of the heathen. He may be a 'Christian'--and yet a drunkard, a swearer, or a slave to some vice or other. He may be a 'Christian'--and yet a willful, impenitent offender against God and man.
But is this to be a 'real Christian'--in the original and proper sense of the word? No! that is something of a very different and superior kind.
To be a Christian indeed--is to be like to Christ, from whom the name is taken!
To be a Christian indeed--is to be a follower and imitator of Christ!
To be a Christian indeed--is to have Christ's spirit and temper; and to live as He lived in the world!
In short, to be a Christian, is to have our sentiments, our character and our practice, formed upon the sacred model of the gospel."

These are sobering words for me and for all of us who like to refer to ourselves as Christians.
For today's verse we'll go to today's reading in John where Jesus tells His disciples where he gets His direction.

John 5:30 (Amplified Bible)30I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord--but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent Me. 

In our day we often desire and are encouraged to be independent.  Jesus shows here that to be like Christ, to be "little Christs" we must be dependent upon God through the Holy Spirit and not our own aim our own purpose.
How are your sentiments, character, and practice formed?

 

Blessings,

Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com


John 5:24-31

Life and Judgment Are Through the Son

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 

25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. 

26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, 

27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 

28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 

29 and come forth — those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 

30 I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.  NKJV

No comments: