Monday, May 24, 2010

Verse of the Day 5/25

Through the Bible - 1 Chronicles 12-14, John 10:1-21
 
Good morning,
The Pharisees who should have been looking for Jesus as their long awaited Messiah, instead looking  at Him as their friend, He was looked upon as the enemy.  Their hearts were deceived.
For today's verse we'll jump ahead a few chapters where Jesus tells His followers then and now, that we are His friends.
 
John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.
NLT
I read this "Grace Gem" from Pastor James Smith and thought that it would be a good thing to start the work week with.
 
He not only calls us so (friends) --but treats us as such! And expects us as His friends--to do whatever He commands us.

Is Jesus your friend?
Then visit Him often--let Him hear your voice in prayer and praise.
Then trust Him confidently--let Him see evidence of your faith in your dependence.
Then walk with Him in love--let Him enjoy much of your company.
Then expect Him to be your Friend . . .
  in sickness and health,
  in poverty and plenty,
  in life and in death!

If Jesus is our Friend--we can never be destitute. If our father and mother forsake us--He will take us up and take us in.

We can never be miserable--He will receive us and be a wise and loving Father unto us.

We can never be neglected, for He will never fail us nor forsake us--but will do for us all that He has promised in His Word. He will . . .
  defend us from foes,
  visit us in sickness, and
  cheer and support us in death!

Precious Lord Jesus, You are my Friend . . .
  in life,
  in death,
  at the judgment, and
  before Your Father's face forever!

I'm reminded of the simple chorus that I learned as a child.  
 
He's a faithful friend, such a faithful friend,
You can count on Him, to the very end.
 
Though storm clouds darken the skies, o'er the heavenly trail,
I just keep trusting my Lord, He will never fail.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 15:9-18
 
9 "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.   NLT

No comments: