Thursday, May 6, 2010

Verse of the Day 5/6

Through the Bible - 1 Kings 15-16, John 1
 
Good morning,
I read two different verses this morning that referred to a "contrite" heart and spirit.  The Hebrew word for contrite literally means to be crushed like mortar, to powder.  From Psalm 34 I read verse 18 from the NLT which captures the thought.  Ps 34:18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

From Psalm 51 we read from the NKJV Ps 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart —  These, O God, You will not despise.

I know of several friends, co-workers and peoples names that have been passed on to me via prayer requests that are battling serious health conditions and the loss of loved ones.  These times can crush us emotionally.  It's times like these when we need the Lord the most.
 
Psalm 34:6-7 speaks of God "camping out" around those who fear, revere Him.
 
Ps 34:6 This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him,
And saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him,
And delivers them.  
NKJV
For today's verses we'll go to Psalm 51, read it first from The Message:
Ps 51:16-18  Going through the motions doesn't please you,
a flawless performance is nothing to you.
I learned God-worship
when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
don't for a moment escape God's notice.
Then from the NKJV

Ps 51:16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart —
These, O God, You will not despise.  
NKJV

In another devotional this morning I read the following quote from John Calvin which was from Psalm 51.

"It is the word of God alone which can first and effectually cheer the heart of any sinner. There is no true or solid peace to be enjoyed in the world except in the way of reposing upon the promises of God. Those who do not resort to them may succeed for a time in hushing or evading the terrors of conscience, but they must ever be strangers to true inward comfort.

And, granting that they may attain to the peace of insensibility, this is not a state which could satisfy any man who has seriously felt the fear of the Lord. The joy which he desires is that which flows from hearing the word of God, in which he promises to pardon our guilt, and readmit us into his favor. It is this alone which supports the believer amidst all the fears, dangers, and distresses of his earthly pilgrimage; for the joy of the Spirit is inseparable from faith."

If you are going through hard times right now and you feel "crushed".  May God's Word encourage and give you strength and hope.  If you know someone going through the valley, pray and reach out to them today.

Read the passage from Psalm 51 from The Message.  Isn't that what we need, fresh wind in our sails and a fresh start out of the chaos of our lives?

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 51:7-18
 
Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean,
scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don't look too close for blemishes,
give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don't throw me out with the trash,
or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
and I'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;
I'll let loose with your praise.
 
Going through the motions doesn't please you,
a flawless performance is nothing to you.
I learned God-worship
when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
don't for a moment escape God's notice.
(from THE MESSAGE)

No comments: