Saturday, January 1, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 1/1

?Through the Bible - Genesis 1-3, Romans 1

Good morning,
If you've followed the Bible reading plan before (above) you'll notice that
the New Testament reading is in Romans. This year I'll be following a
blended reading to change things up a little. You can find this along with
other Bible reading plans at
http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/component/option,com_guides/category,16/
from Back to the Bible.

I once heard a pastor say that if you read through the Bible just to read
through it, it is like raking leaves, just scratching the surface, and you
will get leaves. But if you dig, study, and learn the scriptures you
may/will find treasures, treasures that will bring joy to your heart.

For today's verse we'll go to Jeremiah 15.

Jer 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them,
and your words became to me a joy
and the delight of my heart,
for I am called by your name,
O Lord, God of hosts. ESV

It is good to hear good, solid Biblical teaching and preaching. But you
should be able to dig into God's Word yourself to be nourished, fed by and
gain all the riches of God's grace that He has for you in it.

There are many New Years resolutions to choose from. May one of yours be to
spend more time in God's Word, not just skimming but digging. Read through
the Bible plans are great, whether or not you choose to read through the
Bible in a year is up to you, but I would pray that you'd consider spending
some prolonged time studying, meditating on and applying what you read in a
shorter passage day by day. See what it will do for your life in the coming
year.

Ps 119:26 When I told of my ways, you answered me;
teach me your statutes!
27 Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works. ESV


In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of
sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace NIV
Jer 15:15-17

15 O Lord, You know;
Remember me and visit me,
And take vengeance for me on my persecutors.
In Your enduring patience, do not take me away.
Know that for Your sake I have suffered rebuke.
16 Your words were found, and I ate them,
And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;
For I am called by Your name,
O Lord God of hosts. NKJV

No comments: