Sunday, January 9, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 1/9

Through the Bible - Genesis 20-24, Romans 8
 
Good morning,
Over the past few days we've considered sin, forgiveness, redemption, and grace.
I recently read the following quote by John Owen that ties these things together:

"When God designed the great and glorious work of recovering fallen man, and the saving of sinners, to the praise of the glory of his grace, he appointed, in his infinite wisdom, two great means thereof: The one was the giving his Son for them, and the other was the giving his Spirit to them.

And hereby was way made for the manifestation of the glory of the whole blessed Trinity; which is the utmost end of all the works of God."

We've also considered spending time in the Psalms on a regular basis, to be a source for encouragement and guidance for us.  For this weekend's verses we'll go to Psalm 51 which brings sin, forgiveness, grace and the power of His Spirit.  David , who was a man after God's own heart, still fell into sin, major sin.  But our God is a God of second chances, offers forgiveness to those with a broken and contrite heart.
 
Psalm 51:9-11 (English Standard Version)
Hide your face from my sins,
   and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
   and take not your Holy Spirit from me
.
The Christian life is one of following Christ, first of all answering His call to come to Him, turn as David did, as he sought God in humbleness and repentance.  It is actively putting into practice the call to service and thanksgiving.  It is a life that draws its strength from God, accepting His grace and learning from Him.  It is a pattern of receiving and acting, being grounded in and aware of what He has done.  You've been renewed, now live it.
 
Colossians 2:6-7 (The Message)  My counsel for you is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you've been given. You received Christ Jesus, the Master; now live him. You're deeply rooted in him. You're well constructed upon him. You know your way around the faith. Now do what you've been taught. School's out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 51 (English Standard Version)

Create in Me a Clean Heart, O God
 1 Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
   and cleanse me from my sin!

 3 For I know my transgressions,
   and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
   and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
   and blameless in your judgment.
5Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
   and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
   and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

 7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins,
   and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
   and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
   and uphold me with a willing spirit.

 13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
   and sinners will return to you.

No comments: