Thursday, May 12, 2011

Verse of the Day 5/12

Through the Bible - 1 Kings 1-2, Matthew 6:1-18
 
Good morning,
Yesterday we looked at the two names given to Jacob.  Jacob had been chosen by God for a purpose.  He went through much of his life before realizing this until God wrestled with him and gave him the new name Israel.  The church is full of Jacobs and Israels.  The Jacobs, as we read yesterday are the "whining, self pitying, complaining type of man", while the Israels are the transformed.  You might think of them as the "see through-ers", having faith that God will overcome and will prevail for His honor and glory.
 
I've mentioned before that my practice has been to read a psalm, or at least a portion of a psalm every day.  Yesterday's reading was from Psalm 22 where we'll go for today's verse.
 
Psalm 22:23 (English Standard Version) You who fear the LORD, praise him!
   All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him,
   and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!

 

Reading Boices' comments from the passages in Genesis about Jacob and Israel gave me a different perspective of this verse.  No matter if we are more like the whining self pitying Christian or one that has the see through-er attitude of Israel, God still deserves our praise and we should magnify and glorify Him.  But it is the see through-ers, the Israels of the church, of the congregation that truly stand in awe of Him that can assure others that:

 

Psalm 22:26 (English Standard Version)  The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied;
   those who seek him shall praise the LORD!
   May your hearts live forever!


May I, may we have the faith and confidence of Israel, and stand in awe of Him.

 

I Stand in Awe of Him - (Hillsong)

 

Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful of comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp you infinite wisdom
Who can fathom the depth of your love
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty enthroned above

And I stand, I stand in awe of you
I stand, I stand in awe of you
Holy God to whom all praise is due
I stand in awe of you

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 22:22-26 (English Standard Version)

 22 I will tell of your name to my brothers;
   in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
23You who fear the LORD, praise him!
   All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him,
   and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
24
For he has not despised or abhorred
   the affliction of the afflicted,
and he has not hidden his face from him,
   but has heard, when he cried to him.

 25From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
   my vows I will perform before those who fear him.
26 The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied;
   those who seek him shall praise the LORD!
   May your hearts live forever!

No comments: