Saturday, May 28, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 5/27

Through the Bible - 2 Kings 17-21, Matthew 15
 
Good morning,
We concluded yesterday's devotional with "Trust and Obey".  It did a good job of summarizing what we've been reading and considering the past few days.  May it be our heart's desire, our goal to "walk with the Lord in the light of His Word" every day. 
 
There are several people throughout the Bible that may come to mind that "walked that way", with David, perhaps being foremost.  You see it in so many of his psalms, delighting in God's Word, treasuring it,delighting in it as his guide along life's path, its narrow way.
 
For today's verses we'll go to Psalm 40 where David acknowledges that it is God that has "opened" his ears and put this desire to follow in his heart.
 
Ps 40:6  Sacrifice and offering you have not desired,
but you have given me an open  ear.
Burnt offering and sin offering
you have not required.
7 Then I said, "Behold, I have come;
in the scroll of the book it is written  of me:
8  I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is  within my heart." 
ESV
Having open ears to hear is one thing, taking what you hear and keeping it, treasuring it in your heart will mean that you'll desire, you'll want to obey to take delight in being a "God follower".
 
Read the words to the Steven Curtis Chapman song "God Follower".  May we have ears to hear like David, another song writer, who heard and heeded God's call "let me show you how to live."
 
A blinding flash of light falls down into the darkness
Slowly I notice strange new markings on the trail
The crimson drops are calling out to me come and follow
"I am the God who made you, let Me show you how to live"
And I cry...

I want to be a God follower
I want to go wherever He leads
I want to be a God follower
I want to walk the trail He's marked for me
And be a God follower
(More than anything)

And now I journey on with purpose and with passion
Just like a dead man who's been given breath again
And though this path can still grow dark with tears and sorrow
I know He will never leave me
So with everything I am I will say...

And when I reach God's place
I will look into His face
And then I'll look for you
Will I find you there?
Can you say with me...
I want to be a God follower
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 40:1-11
 
40 I  waited patiently for the Lord;he inclined to me and  heard my cry.2 He drew me up from  the pit of destruction,out of  the miry bog,and  set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.3 He put  a new song in my mouth,a song of praise to our God.Many will  see and fear,and put their trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed is the man who  makesthe Lord his trust,who does not turn to the proud,to those who  go astray after a lie!5 You have multiplied, O Lord my God,your  wondrous deeds and your  thoughts toward us;none can compare with you!I will proclaim and tell of them,yet they are  more than can be told.
6  Sacrifice and offering you have not desired,but you have given me an open  ear. Burnt offering and sin offeringyou have not required.7 Then I said, "Behold, I have come;in the scroll of the book it is written  of me:8  I desire to do your will, O my God;your law is  within my heart."9 I have told the glad news of deliverance in  the great congregation;behold, I have not  restrained my lips, as you know, O Lord.10 I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart;I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulnessfrom the great congregation.   ESV

No comments: