Monday, May 2, 2011

Verse of the Day 5/2

Through the Bible - Numbers 12-14, Revelation 19
 
Good morning,
Pastor Bob used the story of Jonah as the backdrop for his Easter message and focused upon the transformation that took place over the "three days" and the significance of the trials and suffering involved.
 
For today's verse we'll go to the book of Jonah for a sobering verse.
 
Jonah 2:8-9 (New King James Version)" Those who regard worthless idols 
      Forsake their own Mercy. 
       9 But I will sacrifice to You 
      With the voice of thanksgiving; 
      I will pay what I have vowed. 
      Salvation is of the LORD." 
 
A friend of mine spoke of being rasied as an E & C Christian.  (Easter and Christmas)  Churches across the country experienced increased attendance that weekend.  Unfortunately, most will be back to normal the next week and following.  Many of those who won't be returning for a while will be too busy pursuing other things that this verse would refer to as "worthless idols".
 
What struck me in this verse is that it describes such as "forsaking their own Mercy", mercy in capital letters being used as a name for our merciful Saviour.  Those that turn away or don't return are doing just that, walking away from the mercies of God.  May we give up our vain pursuits to seek what our hearts truly hunger for.
 
The song "Merciful Wonderful Saviour" (Philips, Craig, & Dean) came to mind.
 
Wonderful, merciful Savior 
Precious Redeemer and friend 
Who would have thought that a lamb could 
Rescue the souls of men 
Oh, You rescue the souls of men 

Counselor, Comforter, Keeper 
Spirit we long to embrace 
You offer hope when our hearts have 
Hopelessly lost the way 
Oh, we hopelessly lost the way 
Chorus

You are the one that we praise 
You are the one we adore 
You give the healing and grace 
Our hearts always hunger for 
Oh, our hearts always hunger for 

Almighty, infinite Father 
Faithfully loving Your own 
Here in our weakness You find us 
Falling before Your throne 
Oh, we're falling before Your throne 
May we keep pursuing our Saviour who pursues us with His love, mercy and grace.
 
Ps 23:6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.     NLT
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Jonah 2

 1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the fish's belly. 2 And he said:


      " I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, 
      And He answered me. 


      " Out of the belly of Sheol I cried, 
      And You heard my voice. 
       3 For You cast me into the deep, 
      Into the heart of the seas, 
      And the floods surrounded me; 
      All Your billows and Your waves passed over me. 
       4 Then I said, 'I have been cast out of Your sight; 
      Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.' 
       5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; 
      The deep closed around me; 
      Weeds were wrapped around my head. 
       6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains; 
      The earth with its bars closed behind me forever; 
      Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, 
      O LORD, my God. 
       7 " When my soul fainted within me, 
      I remembered the LORD; 
      And my prayer went up to You, 
      Into Your holy temple. 
       8 " Those who regard worthless idols 
      Forsake their own Mercy. 
       9 But I will sacrifice to You 
      With the voice of thanksgiving; 
      I will pay what I have vowed. 
      Salvation is of the LORD." 

10 So the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

No comments: