Friday, May 13, 2011

Verse of the Day 5/13

Through the Bible - 1 Kings 3-5, Matthew 6:19-34
 
Good morning,
I was saddened yesterday when I received word that a friend had passed away after a battle with cancer.  It was the second time within weeks that friends that I know had seemingly lost in this battle.  The good news is that they both knew Jesus Christ as their Saviour and they are now with Him in glory.
 
Today's New Testament reading is in Matthew chapter 6, it is where we'll go for today's verses.  Reading these verses made me think of Joyce and Lee.  They, the verses and these friends: are a reminder of what is important in this life.  Plenty of people plan for the future in 401 k's and other retirement accounts but don't do much about laying up treasures in heaven.
 
Matthew 6:19-21 (English Standard Version)

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
 19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
 

What are the "treasures in your life", what are you investing in?  Our lives will be better fuller here and for eternity if we're investing in things that will last.

 

I also read Ephesians 1:15 and 16 in a devotional

 

Ephesians 1:15-16 (English Standard Version) For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, 16I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers,

 

Do you remember those who have passed in your prayers?  You can pray a prayer of thanksgiving, a prayer for their families and pray for their legacy.  To me, that's what a part of today's verses are about.

 

Read the words to Nicole Nordeman's song "Legacy".  I know its one of Jean's favorites.  I'm posting it today in honor of Joyce and Lee.

 

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

 

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

 

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

 

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

 

What kind of mark are you leaving? 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Matthew 6:19-24 (English Standard Version)

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
 19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, 23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

 24 "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

No comments: