Monday, August 1, 2011

Verse of the Day 8/1

Through the Bible - Psalms 57-59, Acts 21:18-40
 
Yesterday we considered Jesus command to His disciples to head out into the deeper water where they would find a catch after an unproductive night of fishing.  He then challenged them to be fishers of men.
John Stott, whom I quoted last week, passed away recently.  He was a modern day man who answered Jesus call to follow Him.  He put out into the deep.
 
In our men's small group this morning we discussed Luke 9:57 -62 about the costs of following Jesus.  He called "follow me" but was met with at least three excuses (there were probably more) as to why people couldn't follow Him.  His response to them will serve as today's verse.  The Message captures it in modern day language.
 
Luke 9:62  The Message (MSG) Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."
 
 
Here is another quote from John Stott that gives you an idea of what it means to open the door when Jesus knocks.
 
"Here, then, is the crucial question which we have been leading up to.  Have we ever opened our door to Christ?  Have we ever invited him in?  This was exactly the question which I needed to have put to me.  For, intellectually speaking, I had believed in Jesus all my life, on the other side of the door.  I had regularly struggled to say my prayers through the key-hole.  I had even pushed pennies under the door in a vain attempt to pacify him.  I had been baptized, yes and confirmed as well.  I went to church, read my Bible, had high ideals, and tried to be good and do good.  But all the time, often without realizing it, I was holding Christ at arm's length, and keeping him outside.  I knew that to open the door might have momentous consequences.  I am profoundly grateful to him for enabling me to open the door.  Looking back now over more than fifty years, I realize that that simple step has changed the entire direction, course and quality of my life."  John Stott
 
That probably describes many of us, trying to hold Christ at arms length like little kids trying to resist their parents to venture out into the ocean, being afraid of the waves.   We try to avoid whole hearted commitment.  Have you answered His call or are you the king of excuses as described by D.C. Talk in "In the Light"?
 
I keep trying to find a life 
On my own, apart from you 
I am the king of excuses 
I've got one for every selfish thing I do 

What's going on inside of me? 
I despise my own behavior 
This only serves to confirm my suspicions 
That I'm still a man in need of a savior 
 
Oh, lord be my light and be my salvation 
Cause all I want is to be in the light 
 
Opening the door, answering the call will change the direction, course and quality of your life.  Seize the day.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Luke 9:57-62

Amplified Bible (AMP)

57And it occurred that as they were going along the road, a man said to Him, Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.

    58And Jesus told him, Foxes have lurking holes and the birds of the air have roosts and nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head.

    59And He said to another, Become My disciple, side with My party, and accompany Me! But he replied, Lord, permit me first to go and bury (await the death of) my father.

    60But Jesus said to him, Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and publish abroad throughout all regions the kingdom of God.

    61Another also said, I will follow You, Lord, and become Your disciple and side with Your party; but let me first say good-bye to those at my home.

    62Jesus said to him, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back [to the things behind] is fit for the kingdom of God.

   

No comments: