Friday, August 5, 2011

Verse of the Day 8/5

Through the Bible - Psalms 68-69, Acts 24
 
As we saw yesterday, for David, the Lord God was his rock and his redeemer.  The psalms are full of accounts where David called out to God in all kinds of situations.  Times of war, times of peace, times of joy, times of despair, times of rejoicing and times of repenting from sin.  The important thing is that he continued to call on the Lord and the Lord answered Him.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Jeremiah 33 where Jeremiah was shut up in prison.  In his dire circumstances the Lord actually called Jeremiah to call on Him.  He is basically saying to Jeremiah, why won't you just ask me instead of trying to figure things out the hard way, on your own?
 
Jeremiah 33:3 The Message (MSG)"This is God's Message, the God who made earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God: 'Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'
 
I like the Message paraphrase for this verse.  God made the earth, and made it livable and lasting.  If we need something, if we need help, why not go to the one in charge.  In the previous chapter Jeremiah admitted that nothing was too hard for God (32:17) and God reaffirmed in verse 27 that nothing was to hard for Him.  God is stronger than anything that we face.
 
Ready for some good news? . . . 
Jesus Christ is stronger!

Stronger than my fears about the future or my shame over a past that cannot be altered though I wish so much I could do some things differently. 

Stronger than my tired prayers with well-worn phrases and weary pleas.

Stronger than my need to know now, and have the trial terminated.

Stronger than the enemy of my soul who would discourage me with my own failings and disillusion me with the faults of others.

Such a simple truth—Jesus Christ is Stronger. 'Stronger than what,' you ask? Stronger than whatever would cause you doubt or discouragement today."

—James McDonald,

God is stronger, Jesus is stronger, the Holy Spirit is stronger.  God in three persons is stronger, blessed Trinity.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Jeremiah 33:1-3

The Message (MSG)

Things You Could Never Figure Out on Your Own
 1 While Jeremiah was still locked up in jail, a second Message from God was given to him: 2-3"This is God's Message, the God who made earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God: 'Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'

No comments: