Thursday, August 4, 2011

Verse of the Day 8/4

Through the Bible - Psalms 66-67, Acts 23:16-35
 
What challenges do you face today?  Do you face confrontations or will you be giving consolations?  Will you need words of love, wisdom, encouragement or hope to face these situations?  If so, where will you go to find the right words?
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 19, a prayer of David.  He shows us where he goes, he goes to his rock and his redeemer.

Psalm 19:14 (ESV)  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

Our words and the thoughts and intents of our hearts reveal where we go to for wisdom, guidance and purpose in virtually any situation.  Our words reveal what is in our hearts  Is it love, encouragement, comfort, hope, reconciliation the goal, the intent behind our words?  Our great challenge is for our words, thoughts, and actions be acceptable to God in all situations.  It may not be difficult to offer kind, loving, acceptable words when things are going well.  But what about when we or someone close to us faces threatening storms of life?
 
Hearing David refer to his "rock", my thoughts went to the Aaron Geoffrey song "I Go to the Rock".
 
Where do I hide
When the storms of life are threatening
Where do I run to
When the winds of sorrow blow
Is there a refuge (a refuge) in the time of tribulation
Cause I go to the Rock
I know (I know) He's able.

CHORUS
I go to the Rock of my Salvation 
I go to the Stone that the builders rejected 
I run to the mountain and the mountain stands by me 
When the earth all around me is sinking sand 
On Christ, the solid rock I stand 
When I need a shelter, When I need a friend, 
I go to the Rock

Where do I go
When there's no body else to turn to
Who do I talk to
When no one wants to listen
Who do I lean on
When there's no foundation stable
I go to the Rock I know He's able
I go to the Rock

The psalm refers to God's Word as being clean, true, desired, sweeter than honey, rewarding and able to prevent sin from having dominion over us.  If His Word is in our hearts and influences what we speak, our words will be acceptable in His sight.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 19:9-14(ESV)

9the fear of the LORD is clean,
   enduring forever;
the rules of the LORD are true,
   and righteous altogether.
10More to be desired are they than gold,
   even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
   and drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.

 12 Who can discern his errors?
    Declare me innocent from hidden faults.
13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins;
   let them not have dominion over me!
Then I shall be blameless,
   and innocent of great transgression.

 14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,
   O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

No comments: