Friday, August 19, 2011

Verse of the Day 8/19

Through the Bible - Psalms 103-104, Galatians 4
 
The other day I read Psalm 117, the shortest chapter in the Bible, two verses.  I wondered why it was entered as a separate psalm being so short.  These two verses will serve as our verses for today.  I'll let you read them and think about that for a moment.

 Psalm 117  (HCSB) Praise the LORD, all nations!
    Glorify Him, all peoples!
2 For great is His faithful love to us;
    the LORD's faithfulness endures forever. 

    Hallelujah!
 

In other translations the words "faithful love" are replaced with steadfast love, loyal love, or lovingkindness, all of which are true, but incomplete in describing His love for us.

 

I received a call from my son Jason regarding some news of his inoperable brain tumor.  In short, it's gone.  I'll share a letter from Jean and I to you in a separate post, but for now I'll explain how this news helped me understand the verses.

 

I don't know the setting for the psalm, but it may have been after having received good news, a blessing, an answer to prayer.  Words cannot explain the emotion.  The moment is a chapter in life all to itself.  You are caught up in the moment, a moment of praise and all you can think about is praising God while realizing His steadfast, loyal, faithful love to you.  The moment will long be remembered, you will move on to a new chapter in your life, but that moment of praise will be a stand alone moment in your life, in your walk, enduring forever.

 

May you experience it today in your life in the form of good news, perhaps in an answer to your prayers.  Hallelujah!

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 117

The Message (MSG)

    Praise God, everybody! Applaud God, all people!
   His love has taken over our lives;
   God's faithful ways are eternal.
      Hallelujah!

No comments: