Friday, September 16, 2011

Verse of the Day 9/16

Lamentations 3:24-25 New Living Translation (NLT)
24 I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance;
      therefore, I will hope in him!"

 25 The Lord is good to those who depend on him,
      to those who search for him.

Today's verses come from today's Old Testament reading (below) and  follow some of the strongest words of encouragement found in the Bible and inspired one of the greatest hymns of all time.  These verses came from God through Jeremiah, the weeping prophet.  Out of the depths of his lament of physical and spiritual depression personally and of the nation came these words of hope that endures.
 
Lamentations 3:22-23 English Standard Version (ESV) 22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
   his mercies never come to an end; 23they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
 
The other day I was returning home from a business trip with that feeling kind of down, thinking about things that I had to do that day, but mostly thinking about the many friends facing various trials and in various stages of illness and injury.  Going through the (short) security line an elderly black gentleman came up behind me singing " Great is Thy Faithfulness".  I turned and said "Lamentations 3" which led to a short conversation about our churches and our faith. As I passed through the line and found a seat near the gate my spirit was lifted while I shed a few tears thinking about His faithfulness.
 
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
 
"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    "Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!


Don't we all need that - pardon for sin, peace that endureth, stability, strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow?  Those who search for it, yearn for it, will find it in Him.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Through the Bible - Lamentations 3-5, John 6:45-71

Lamentations 3:19-25

Amplified Bible (AMP)

19[O Lord] remember [earnestly] my affliction and my misery, my wandering and my outcast state, the wormwood and the gall.

    20My soul has them continually in remembrance and is bowed down within me.

    21But this I recall and therefore have I hope and expectation:

    22It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.

    23They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.

    24The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore will I hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him.

    25The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him [inquire of and for Him and require Him by right of necessity and on the authority of God's word].

No comments: