Thursday, September 29, 2011

Verse of the Day 9/29

Luke 4:42 New Living Translation (NLT) Early the next morning Jesus went out to an isolated place. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them.

In yesterday's verse, Jesus rose early in the morning, "while it was still dark".  In today's verse in Luke Jesus left at daybreak to go to a deserted place to commune with God and be away from the crowds that would soon follow.  For Jesus, this close, isolated communication with God was an important thing.  Though the time of day may have varied, time spent with the Father was standard practice.
 
J.I. Packer writes that the Puritans differ from evangelicals today because with them "communion with God was a great thing, to evangelicals today it is a comparatively small thing. The Puritans were concerned about communion with God in a way that we are not. The measure of our concern is the little that we say about it. When Christians meet, they talk to each other about their Christian work and Christian interests, their Christian acquaintances, the state of the churches and the problems of theology - but rarely of their daily experience of God."
What are your conversations with fellow Christians about?  Spend some time alone in communion with God each day and incorporate what you experience and learn, share with them what God is telling you.  It may have an impact on your "Christian work and interests".
 
 Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me.
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne.
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Luke 4:42-44 (NLT) Jesus Continues to Preach

 42 Early the next morning Jesus went out to an isolated place. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them. 43 But he replied, "I must preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God in other towns, too, because that is why I was sent." 44 So he continued to travel around, preaching in synagogues throughout Judea.[a]

No comments: